Friday, August 25, 2017

TGER2017 - Homeward bound (I)

As Mr. Burns (no, not that one), said, “The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.” It looks like the road to Charleston is paved with stormy weather. So, I turn the wheels northeasterly and begin the journey home. Last night we noted the tail of a bank of storms passing through the mid-Atlantic all the way up the coast. I will slip just west of them. The line of the front accompanies me on the right the majority of the day, but I am dry. I have dodged the weather once more. I take 11W north. Another enjoyable country road. The national forests are to my right. Then I join 219 for a bit. This is the same 219 that I took down on Day 1 next to the Allegheny National Forest. Interestingly, as I was riding the 11, I noticed some debris on the road. A sheriff that I had just passed lit up his lights. I was not going that fast. I pull over at the next driveway. He is slow to get to me. When he does, he apologizes.  "I only turned on my lights so as to safely remove the debris. I didn't mean to pull you over." It turns out he is a biker, too. We had quite a good chat about riding, the Cherohela, Dragon's Tail and, surprisingly, he had high recommendations for 219. This is a road that needs exploring!
But the highlight of the day were the roads through the Monongahela National Forest and the Washington and Jefferson National Forest. From the look of the trees on the map, they look like the same forest but they span the WV and VA border. On the WV side, the road to beat is the 92, "The Pocahontas Trail". Spectacular riding. I then took the 250 across to the VA side and it, too, is great. Several challenging, pronounced, "harrowing", turns. Great fun. I should have continued 250 to 64 and the base of Skyline Drive. Instead, I followed Google Maps on a  meander to Harrisonburg, VA and the upper segment of the Drive, for tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, it was a great meander.

No comments: