Sunday, August 20, 2017

TGER2017 Day 2: Cold to Hot

I see that the theme of this ride will be morning fog. I slept like a log right after dinner. That meant I was up to ride at 5 AM. It was clear and cool as I set out guided this time by solar photons reflected off Venus. The thermometer, at 5AM, said 63 but the riding felt like 53. I had my undershirt, my riding shirt, my heavy shirt ,my light jacket and the safety vest and was just comfortable. Every 100 miles I took a layer off until I rode into Indiana naked at 92° (I am exaggerating only slightly). But the morning ride through the fog laden mountains of West Virginia was quite refreshing especially as the sun rose (verb and color) behind me. This was not light tendrils of upstate NY fog, this was the real deal, a heavy blanket. I stayed at 35-40 mph for the first hour or so. I took mostly 50 West and then 32 West both labeled the Appalachian Highway. Nice enough roads through what is the heartland of America. Farms and small towns. Interestingly, this highway has intersections so you do about 60 then stop for a light every once in a while. Crossed the Ohio River into Ohio and continued straight West. I was mostly alone until I hit (and got lost in) Cinncinati. From there westward, fellow bikers everywhere. Another 400 miles under the belt. Tomorrow into Kentucky for the eclipse! Stay tuned.



No comments: