Saturday, August 19, 2017

TGER2017 - Day 1 in the bag.

"Fog's rollin' in off the East River bank...." But it's not. Our fog is tendrils of cotton strewn amongst the hills that accompany the Susquehanna. With the sun rising behind me, the fog slowly lifts revealing the tree clad peaks of those hills. The road is empty and quiet. I make good time to my exit from the highway. From hone, the first leg is nearly due West. I join a new secondary road that neither I nor my bike has seen. It parallels the NY/PA border dancing from hill to farm and back again. I turn south at Bradford PA for a beautiful ride through the Allegheny National Forest. The urge to stop and explore is nearly insurmountable but my timeline does not permit. The forest is dark, cool and inviting, Clouds have come in and the radar hints at a pop-up storm so I put on the rain gear. False alarm as within a couple hours the clouds are much more friendly. In fact, its getting quite warm and I finish, sweating,in the high 80s here in WV. Tomorrow, it's, "Westward Ho!" to Indiana to meet Aaron.



No comments: