Monday, June 1, 2009

Day 2, mile 600, Mid-day

I rolled south from DBoone trying to get back to civilization and Maryville, TN;the mouth of the Dragon.
I noticed that 66 dumped into 25. And 25 leads to the Cumberland Gap! I took a quick (very nice on/off access) detoru into the park. For nothing but to drive up to the outlook point. Lo and behold another baby dragon; a well tended national park rode that switched its way up the Cumberland hills. The view from the outlook is spectacular. You look out on three states; KY, TN and VA.
From there you dip through a tunnel to the other side. And then a quick ride over to Maryville, right?
Easier said then done.
The damn Garmin GPS failed me in my hour of need. It has got some power problems. It doesn't recognize the cradle and doesn't charge from it. I had charged it the night before and was turning it on and off to spare the battery. Unfortunately, now it won't come on. This will be the third time back to Garmin for service! Not recommended!
To top it off, my BB with Google maps had low battery. To its credit, it surviced the day! So I am about 40 miles out from Knoxville trying to figure out how to get to Maryville. Turns out you can't there from here; or just about. There's a lot of construction around Kville, right where I needed to go. So to make a long story short, I spent an hour or so in an involuntary tour of Kville wending a maze of twisty passages trying to get OUT. Did I mention it was 90 degrees! Yikes.

In the end, the brotherhood of the bike came to the rescue. A fellow rider at a gas station pointed me in the right direction to face the Dragon. (He even pointed out the speed trap they set).

Next...the Dragon....


-----------------------------------------
This message and any included attachments are intended only for the
addressee. The information contained in this message is
confidential and may constitute proprietary or non-public
information under international, federal, or state laws.
Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of
such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and
notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on riding...
What a great cause to ride your bike while seeing this beautiful paysage.
Wish I was there too....
On the road again......
Bisou RDC

Anonymous said...

Dsc,

It's called a MAP.

AP