Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 1, Mile 513; Manchester, KY

Well, what can I say? Another fantastic voyage through rural America. I stand (can't sit after 513 miles) in awe of this great land.
I decided to slab it from Chicago through Indiana; to get to the good stuff.... The only downside to biking in Chicago is that you have to ride an hour and a half to get to something nice and rural. So, I did the obligatory 90/94 dance to northwest IN, then picked up 65 S to IN'apolis. As I mentioned, <classic> farmland slab (in need of repair).
I continued 65 S to Louisville. I could smell the fear and sweat from the ABR exam and slight chill ran down my spine despite the temp in the high 70's. At Louisville, I picked up the 64 E slab to Lexington. As nice a ride as slab can be. I passed, though did not visit, the Kentucky Bourbon Trail; something to be sampled, I'm sure, perhaps with RDC driving. I also passed the National Retirement Home for Retired Thoroughbred Horses. Had to stop and take a picture to show the REL. As I was stopped by the side of the highway, a very nice fellow rider (in military fatigues) stopped just to make sure I was OK. What a great gesture!
But that was just the start. Just east of Lexington, I picked up the Kentucky Mountainway (402) instead of slabbin' 75 S. In retrospect, the wisest decision I've made in quite some time... For this route, itself in great condition and equally adequatelly hilly and twisty, led me through Natural Bridge Resort State Park (I didn't see the bridge) to KY 11. KY 11 is, as my friend AP, also a rider, says, is a <little slice of heaven>. In addition to passing through small hamlets with names like, <travellers rest>, I had the opportunity to visit Morrocco (IN), Paris (KY?) and Egypt (KY) all in one day. Without even knowing exactly where I was going 11 led me to 30 led me to 421 all three winding their way to and through the Daniel Boone National Forest. A thousand shades of green surrounded me as I leaned into each and every curve. The road curves in all 6 degrees of freedom (if you count the bank of the road); truly a challenge. I could not have thought of a better training course for the Dragon that awaits me.
When my buttocks just couldn't take any more, I GPS'd the nearest hotel and followed the forest to Manchester.
Another note, I must have passed at least 500 bikers today; all out enjoying the beautiful day and the graceful curves of Kentucky.

To think, I get to do this again, tomorrow?!



-----------------------------------------
This message and any included attachments are intended only for the
addressee. The information contained in this message is
confidential and may constitute proprietary or non-public
information under international, federal, or state laws.
Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of
such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and
notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail.

1 comment:

AP said...

Sounds like slabbin' it from Chicago to Lexington paid off. I'll be interested to read of your experiences on the Dragon.